Help!

Training advice, motivation and race day planning for the Virgin London Marathon
Forum rules
Vic
Cornicen

Help!

Postby Vic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:01 pm

I've been struck down with a nasty tummy bug the last few days, and am panicking that I haven't run since Sunday. With London next week clearly it's taper time, but I hadn't planned on 0 miles! I'm hoping I should be able to run tomorrow. I'm not sure whether to run every day between Thurs and Sun to catch up a bit, or take it fairly easy with just a few runs to not overdo it.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Vic

Bag9
Primus Pilus

Re: Help!

Postby Bag9 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Vic dont panic i'm sure u'll be fine, u've done all the hard work now, i wouldnt try and catch up the rest might have done u good :cool:
Bagsy Chan

(Carrie)

DaveH
Signifer

Postby DaveH » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm no expert but if the purpose of the taper is to ensure you arrive fresh on race day, you don't want to cram miles in to make up for lost ground.

The work should all be done by this stage. I read somewhere recently that by the time the taper period comes you can do very little to actually improve your race time but you can do lots to ruin it. If you have to run every day for your own sanity then fine, but remember your supposed to be taking it easy :cool:

Don't stress, I'm sure you'll be fine.

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:02 pm

do exactly what you had planned to do from now on, you will not get any fitter between now and race day. the only important thing is to get better fully before you consider running.
wise words are not always easy to find

janeattheback
Princepales

Postby janeattheback » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Vic, don't panic! All of the advice given is perfect- you are well prepared already. Concentrate on hydration now, especially since you've had a tummy upset. Plenty of rest too ,

Jane x
Jane Newbold

Vic
Cornicen

Postby Vic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for advice! Think I'm just getting super paranoid. Feel much better today, so going to take it nice and easy at club.

acarbutt
Milites Gregarius

Postby acarbutt » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Good to hear you are feeling better, best just to stick to the plan and not doing anything extra, like the guys have said! This taper business is horrible just want to get to the start line now...1 week to go!

Cheers

Anthony

Return to “VLM”