Post London thoughts

Training advice, motivation and race day planning for the Virgin London Marathon
Forum rules
Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Post London thoughts

Postby Woolly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:54 pm

So guys and gals, runners and supporters what was your best part, worse and would you do it again?

Share your London marathon experience ........................
Rachel Argent, Club Secretary

Kaza
Hastatus Posterior

Re: Post London thoughts

Postby Kaza » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Best -finishing and whole atmosphere! Worst -cramp on and off for last four miles. Strange -was the number of people on their mobiles during the race - why? Would I do it again? Strangely yes - need to get the end right

mazmaffin
Aquilifer

Postby mazmaffin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Well, if you don't like crowds and noise it's not the Marathon for you. I thought it was A-MA-ZING!! Thank you again to all the supporters on the day- seeing you was just awesome. What shall I do next?!!

The Mash WILL return!!!!

Mazzy XXXX
Maria White

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Don't you mean A-MAZ-ING?
wise words are not always easy to find

FITZY
Pilus Posterior

Postby FITZY » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:10 am

Well another London done.

The crowds were out in their droves as always and whilst I don't know for sure it could well have been the best supported so far?

The weather was a bit too hot with constant sunshine and no cloud cover. Great for the spectators of course.

Timewise was about what I thought being 1.27 / 1.30 splits so dropped off a bit but not too much and didn't suffer as much from mile 23 as i have in past years - better gel refuelling i.e. more of them, might've had something to do with that?

It was great to watch all of the recorded marathon programmes on a day off work on the Monday after the race to realise what a fantastic event it is.

Might have to travel to the wilds of Scotland for cooler conditions next year to see if I can hone in on Wilko's V50 club record. :wink:
Howay the lads (and lasses)

boyband6666
Signifer

Postby boyband6666 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Another London, and this one went like last year - spectacularly well. I knew going in I had a chance of sub 2-40, but kept that quiet and gave my B goal of a Championship time (sub 2.45). In the end had the weather been cooler (the direct sun was harsh) I could have actually gone a few (2-3) minutes faster too! Absolutely delighted with the result though. I've trained more than ever, and put everything in to it, so to walk away with a 13 minute PB is a good reward! It is an improvement of over 7%, which is more than the difference EPO makes to endurance athletes. Once again showing there is no substitute for hard work.

The race itself was really good. The support was better last year, but that is to take nothing away from an amazing atmosphere this year. I'll be back next year, but just to jog round and enjoy the day. London 2016 however will be another serious effort though.

Anyway that makes a 29 minute improvement in 2 years, and 45 minutes since I did London 2010 in 3:24. The history goes:

2010 3:24 - London

2011 3:14 - Edinburgh

2012 3:08 - Milton Keynes (Good for Age)

2013 2:52 - London

2014 2:39 - London (Championship time!)

If it'd help people, I'm also happy to post about how I made the improvements from any step to any other step, and what I'd do differently!

For now I've had a week off totally, and I have another week with no training, though I will start to run if I want to (no Garmin though, fun only). After that I'll start to build it up again, and plan for the rest of the year.

Anthony

Return to “VLM”