Beginners - Long Eaton Learners Mondays (14th Sept)

Advice and guidance when you're just starting out....
Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Beginners - Long Eaton Learners Mondays (14th Sept)

Postby Woolly » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:53 pm

As a running club we say cater for those who are able to run from 3/4 miles continuously, not determined by pace and inclusive only with that one requirement.

As we have seen and heard from friends colleagues, at the parkrun - what about those that want to run? Surely we can help guide, advice and nurture the new runners of the area.

Myself, Kevin and Shaun are qualified England athletics run leaders so we have the capability. This is a great chance to give back, encourage new runners and they may or may not join the running club in the long term. But we hope that they do.

We all started somewhere and I certainly wish there was groups like this around when I first started - quoted someone at the parkrun this week.

Hi all Welcome to Long Eaton Learners.

Who are we? : We are Long Eaton Running Club

Why are we running C25K? : We run and we love it so why not help and encourage others to do what we love?

Who Can run it: Well this is a first for us !! So with this in mind at present we can only invite ADULTS only. We are not insured to run with children.

What happens: We don't expect to kill you we want to inspire you, we start with the basics and if your at the back who cares?

After 8 Weeks : Well lets all run the Long Eaton Park Run at West Park lets smile enjoy the run and maybe have some Tea and Cake...

See you all soon

Long Eaton Running Club

Long Eaton Learners

This is an 8 week program, starting on a Monday night 14th September 7pm following the NHS couch to 5k plan and we are not charging for this - its Free.

This is a great opportunity for other members to help out week to week, encourage and support also so if you'd like to get involved let us know. The target is the Long Eaton parkrun (other parkruns are available!)

We will be leafleting this and will appreciate anyone wanting to put flyers out and word of mouth to for our beginners group.

Also announcing this at the Long Eaton parkrun this Saturday with other reasons to promote the club too.

Seeing the amount of new runners at the parkrun alone, there is the want and passion to run which I think and know we can harness to support and help our running community thrive.

Are you with us? Lets make this happen LERC!
Rachel Argent, Club Secretary

tritimtri
Imaginifer

Re: Beginners - Long Eaton Learners Mondays (14th Sept)

Postby tritimtri » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Should be available some Mondays during that period :-)

Izzy-wizzy
Tirones

Postby Izzy-wizzy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:08 am

Hi is this still on tonight? If so where do we meet?

Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby Woolly » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:39 am

Meeting 7pm in the West Park Leisure centre, you will see a group of us there to then head out for the session.

Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby Woolly » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks so much for everyone who came down to help myself and Kevin on the 1st night, Kevin designed all the flyers and set up the facebook pages. With me, Kev and Shaun instructing the sessions.

We knew we had some numbers coming down but didn't ever think 89 participants on the 1st night.

The hard work now is to encourage and nurture these runners to stick with the plan, to come back and follow the plan taking care

The plan is for 8 weeks aiming for the Long Eaton parkrun on the 14th November.

We would like to do a parkrun takeover to support the beginners on their 1st official parkrun - like their graduation. Derby runner have been supportive offering discount and support to our runners which is great.

So firstly who would be up for helping at the parkrun on the 14th November?

Also from last week, the sessions will vary from week to week as we increase the running times but in principle we need some extra support.

Myself, Kevin and Shaun will be there but assistance is needed at the front, middle and back. The feedback from week 1 was great, the encouragement and support was appreciated as well as our time from participants.

We will have hi viz bibs for volunnteers so it is clear who is supporting also. We may not have enough for all so wear hi viz in general.

Weeks are - starting at 7pm lasting up to an hour.

Week 2 - 21st Sept - Run 2 min walk 1 min x 7

Week 3 - 28th Sept - Run 4 minutes walk 1 minute x 6

Week 4 - 5th Oct - Run 6 minutes, walk 2 minutes x 4

Week 5 - 12th Oct - Run 9 min, walk 2 min x 3

Week 6 - 19th Oct - Run 12 min, walk 1 min x 3

Week 7 - 26th Oct - Run 15 minutes, walk 1 min x 2

Week 8 - 2nd Nov - Run 30 minutes

Week 9 - 14th November - Long Eaton parkrun

Please see our facebook page for comments and more information to. Also all the feedback from participants too. There is also a private group set up for conversation too.

The tent and flag is welcomed for storage of kit, we may not always have this but great to have a base for the runners.

If you can volunteer, please let us know which days you can help out to form a quick roster.

Thanks all

Week 2 - Jane Hudson, John Hay, Casey Trueman, Rob Fox, Damian Cowlishaw, Steph C, Paul Milner, Shaun B, ... Anyone else confirmed

Week 3 - ...... and so on!

NigelS
Tirones

Postby NigelS » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:19 pm

Mondays aren't great for me, so I doubt that i can get down at all, but i'll volunteer for the park run on 14th Nov.

Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby Woolly » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks to everyone who is coming down so far to help, the feedback is really good and our time and support is greatly appreciated by the group taking part

If anyone can help volunteer for the parkrun on the 14th November, we would like to take over the event and shower out Long Eaton Learners with lots of support - Post here, or let me Rachel know

Week 4 We will be needing to do a short circuit through the park and out on the road back as we are running for 6 minutes so travelling further. More help greatly appreciated out there on the roadsides and hi viz!

Anyone free to help post here or on facebook

Thanks

tritimtri
Imaginifer

Postby tritimtri » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:59 pm

I will be there on Monday night skipper.

Matt
Discens

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:01 pm

I'll be there to help

Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby Woolly » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for all your support over the last few weeks it is really appreciated by the group.

The LEL are in there last week 8 - running for 30 minutes no stopping this coming Monday 2nd November

Then we will host an optional Monday night 9th November

With the graduation on the 14th November at Long Eaton parkrun.

If anyone wants to marshal at the parkrun let me know and /or run with the group also.

Following the graduation, as discussed with the few who have been helping is to keep the Monday learners going for the 3-4 mile running group for this year to help further with the individuals running and their running should they want to join / integrate the running club.

Inviting them to join in for the Lights & Pies night and a few other nights we do.

Any other ideas welcomed

Thanks again for your support and we will definitely be getting some more dates for another LEL to start again for early next year.

Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby Woolly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks to our helpers last night for the week 8 run for 30 minutes.

With your help and support, we have put on a great beginners group and will continue the Monday nights for this year past the parkrun graduation which for most will be the 14th November parkrun, so great support and if you are about to join us for a run please do.

7th November - Optional parkrun

9th November - LEL Monday night 30 min repeat top up session

14th November - Official LEL parkrun graduation

We will look to continue the Monday nights up to the 7th December and will invite the LEL to join us for lights and pies run on 15th December.

Thanks again all - we are already being asked about another LEL for January and the group are keen to continue which is great

tritimtri
Imaginifer

Postby tritimtri » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm planning to run the North Midlands XC fixture at Corby on 14 November, but I'm happy to pace any of the learners who want to try to break 30 minutes for the morning Parkrun. There were two or three there last night who could go sub 30 minutes.

Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby Woolly » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:26 pm

I'll get the pacer vest ready Tim! Thanks

Return to “Newcomers, starting out”