New Ladies Captain

Advice and guidance when you're just starting out....
louisejansen
Hastatus Posterior

New Ladies Captain

Postby louisejansen » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi Everyone

Thought I had better show my face on the forum so to speak after my successful bid for the title of LERC Ladies Captain!!!!

I would like to say a massive THANK YOU to all of you who voted for me and also those of you who showed your support by encouraging me to put my name forward. (You know who you are!!)

Ok then down to business. Since the AGM Im amazed at the number of members who have approached me and are wanting/willing to offer support and guidence in what I see as my main priority as Ladies Captain, which is to get ALL the lady members to enjoy their running experiences with LERC and become the best they can be! In turn LERC as a club should win all the way, because with confidence we should have more ladies running in a wide variety of races throughout the year than ever before!!

I would firstly like to ask for some help!! I want to know what YOU as a Female LERC member would like to get out of our club?!?!?!?!

I cant promise to meet everyones needs but I will do my best to address common themes.

Here's some thoughts to get you going..........

[b]1 Do you want to run faster?

[b]2.Do you want to run further?

3.Do you want to run faster and further?

4.Do you want to race?

5.Do you want to know more about Cross County and have a go?

6.Do you want to know more about Fell Running and have a go?

7.Is there a particular race that you want to train for and need some

support/ guidence?

Just Ask you never know there just might be someone willing to help by offering support, mentoring, guidence etc.

We are so fortunate at LERC that we have some of the best runners in the country, at a variety of different levels and ages. However it is important to remember that no-one was born running fast, we all had to get to where we are now, and with alittle help who knows where we can get to??

Thank you and I look forward to you feedback, please feel free to email, or text any of your thoughts or questions. Or you could just come up and talk to me.

Louise

Ladies Captain[/b]

vixen
Aquilifer

Postby vixen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 am

Congratulations Louise.

In my opinion I think you need to start from the beginning, so to speak, and that means, looking at the club nights.

If the club nights work then the rest should follow, by that i mean, if members get the right support on the club nights, run will people of the same/similar ability then they will progress together - they will start running further and faster without really noticing it and then comes the enthusiasm and confidence to start training for a particular race/trying a road race, cross country race etc.

(Look at Stella's post on the tues forum about club nights he makes some really good points).

Once members start running further and faster they often then go looking for a challenge, in this case, taking part in a race.

Girls also need to know that for advice on training schedules to help them run faster, they can talk to Sharon (when she is down) and Monica (to name but two) and for advice on fell running, for example they can talk to me (well give me another couple of months and I'll be back on the fells) and for cross country and saturday training they can talk to Caroline.

I think you need to find out the calibre of runners we have down on an average club night so you can address their needs - make sure they are running with people of similar speed, etc and also publicise in some way (informally) those ladies who are happy to talk to other ladies about training/racing on different terrains/different types of events etc - so whatever goals ladies have, they can turn to a fellow female runner for advice and support.

(Hope that makes sense - I'm full of a cold, thanks to my babies :-) )

Vic
Fell running - it's not just for BOYS!

andrei
Pilus Posterior

Postby andrei » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:36 pm

[quote="vixen"]advice on fell running, for example they can talk to me (well give me another couple of months and I'll be back on the fells) a

Vic[/quote]

couple of months - woohoo... can you be more precise please so we can be at your comeback race :cool:

louisejansen
Hastatus Posterior

Postby louisejansen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks for those wise words Vicky, some great points, Iv already spoken to Sharon and Andy Mcneil, who as you said are very willing to offer support in a variety of different ways, also Jackie and Shaun, have started doing some exciting alternative training on a saturday morning, which is open to all, more info to follow.

Hope your cold clears up soon. We need you back on them fells

Lou x

vixen
Aquilifer

Postby vixen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks Lou

The new fell season starts in Jan and I will be back to full training and races by them.

I would be happy to run some fell training sessions on sat/sun for any ladies who fancy having a go at fell running. Could even run an alternatively training session on a club night if there is interest.

Let me know if this would be of interest.

Vic

vixen
Aquilifer

Postby vixen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Mr Vais,

Come back race probably (and hopefully) lambs longer leg I reckon.

Well done on relays, did you have fun?

Vix

pabc
Admin

Postby pabc » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:04 pm

unlikely given you keep ducking out of runs..............
Finally got time to return to the club, both virtually and physically, and I'm on the injured step.................

louisejansen
Hastatus Posterior

be nice

Postby louisejansen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Now Now Mr Abbott, play nicely

Lou :wink:

Kaza
Hastatus Posterior

Postby Kaza » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:41 pm

I am usually at the back on most training runs, but as I have a hamstring injury I am currently undertaking a run walk session. I have a recruit for tomorrow to come with me and his friend might be joining us next week. I am sure they will soon be a lot faster than me (in fact I am sure they are already), so hopefully I will be asking people if they will run with them in the next few weeks.

vixen
Aquilifer

Postby vixen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Oi Abbott,

Who rattled your cage!

vix

andrei
Pilus Posterior

Postby andrei » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:35 pm

vix, we have to wait until 2010?... :shock:

oh and i know who rattle Abbott's cage but not telling as ... hat happens on the fell weekend stays on the fell weekend

Return to “Newcomers, starting out”