first marathon advice!?

Advice and guidance when you're just starting out....
mattsalt
Discens

first marathon advice!?

Postby mattsalt » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to do a full marathon next year after a couple of half's and a "kilomathon" in april... Anyone reccommend a good first race? Fairly local and popular!?
Matt

caroline waterhouse
Signifer

Postby caroline waterhouse » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:26 am

The White Peak in May at Cromford is well organised and always has a few club members running it, but it is small so you don't get the rousing crowds. However a number of the half marathon runners are at the finish line to cheer you in so at least there are some familiar faces at the end.

I didn't really enjoy the full Robin Hood when I did it, but you feel you have to since it's our home one!

mattsalt
Discens

Postby mattsalt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 am

sounds good... my only worry with the Robin hood is that you have to run past the finish for the half... and then keep going for another 13.1 miles! sounds like a killer to me!

Will keep my eye on the summer leage then... thanks Caroline
Matt

andrei
Pilus Posterior

Postby andrei » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:36 am

also at Robin hood marathon there's no much support on the second half and it gets very lonely running loops round Holme Pierrepoint.

when i did my full RH back in 2006 it felt like only 105 who registered did the full so the field is pretty spread out so can end up running on your own.

one of things that kept me going was knowing i'll be finishing round the same time as some the 'fun-runners' doing the half

mattsalt
Discens

Postby mattsalt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:38 am

thats true... i heard this year that 11k entered and only 3k did the full... when I was walking back to the card and the full guys were coming back it looked pretty lonely! :cry:
Matt

rollerman
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby rollerman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Matt, the White peak full marathon does get booked up before December so keep an I onit if you intend to run it :wink:
LERC 50 ultra finisher 2013 :)

Heavyman
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Postby Heavyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:07 pm

[quote="rollerman"]Matt, the White peak full marathon does get booked up before December so keep an I onit if you intend to run it :wink:[/quote]

The half at White Peak Gets full really quickly might have a little more time to enter the full. There is also the Stratford Full and Half on April 25th from last time i did it 3 years ago you could enter on the Day. (Some other marathon else where seems to keep the numbers down but there are usually quite a few entering. It is a two lapper though!
Pound for pound am i the fastest?

Return to “Newcomers, starting out”