first cross country run

Advice and guidance when you're just starting out....
ShortStuff
Milites Gregarius

first cross country run

Postby ShortStuff » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi there running people.

I'm building my mileage back up after yet another child and want to set a race as a target in Nov/Dec. It would be a 10k if a road race but most of the races seem to be cross country.

My question is this - if I want to have a shot at a XC race do I need special shoes or will my normal running shoes be ok?

Any advice for a XC complete novice? PS - I don't mind muddy shoes, I just don't know how much grip etc I'll need.

andrei
Pilus Posterior

Postby andrei » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:26 pm

road shoes can be ok on cross country if the field(s) the course is on is dry.

on cross country the course tends to cut up (especially if the event is popular) so after few laps and by the time your race is scheduled the course can be slippery.

better to use trail shoes, fell shoes (i tend to use the same as the ones i do my fell races in). best suited are of course the cross country shoes that come with spikes - my suggestion is buy those once you get the bug for cross country.

hope it all goes well on with your training and good luck racing XC.

ShortStuff
Milites Gregarius

Postby ShortStuff » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks Andrei,

Can I ask another question? The races listed in the LERC league for XC have distances as 'Variable', so I'm assuming different distances for each age group.

Could you give me an idea of what kind of distances tend to be involved for senior ladies? I don't want to take on more than I'm ready for yet as I'm still building my distance up.

Thanks

Shortstuff

andrei
Pilus Posterior

Postby andrei » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 pm

best to ask someone at on a club night.

if my memory serves me right for ladies is around 6-8km and the guys around 10k distances.

pabc
Admin

Postby pabc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:50 am

Because of thier nature the distance vary however for the women they are between 5k and 5 miles long for the women.
Finally got time to return to the club, both virtually and physically, and I'm on the injured step.................

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:01 pm

depends on the race - i expect to go round in road shoes at Markeaton Park this saturday unless we get a ridiculous amount of rain this week, but for the Boothe's league you might need flippers and a wet suit at Ilkeston.

sensible thing is to buy a pair of offroad- trail shoes as they will be far more useful than spikes. walshes still work for me and mine are about 11 years old.
wise words are not always easy to find

ShortStuff
Milites Gregarius

Postby ShortStuff » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks everyone. :biggrin:

Return to “Newcomers, starting out”