Forefoot Running

Overdoing it? Not doing enough? Injury advice, Gels, hydration etc. All topics to do with training
andymac
Tirones

Re: Forefoot Running

Postby andymac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:35 pm

hi jade ,

running style is the last thing you look at when considering someones injury . there are many factors to consider , amount of training , speed of training . shoes, weight, adaptation to load etc . i have been lucky enough to coach/advise many national and international standard athletes and even work with top physiologists in the sport . do you race in minimalist shoes/barefoot. how have your times changed ?
to enjoy your running , and improve, training must be kept simple and progressive as i previously stated .
staying injury free whilst trying to improve you race times is a bit of a lottery, but with a degree of common sense can be limited
so, for all you runners striving for that PB , TRAIN HARD ,RECOVER WITH EASY RUNNING, RACE WELL .

andy

Jadestretch
Milites Gregarius

Postby Jadestretch » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Andy, i don't run for time, races or even fitness. I just run because i love to run, nothing more. The advice that your referring to about times and endurance improvement i leave to the experts. My job is just to make sure they are comfortable in their body when doing anything physical. And that's really the only point i was making

hugs Jade
Last edited by Jadestretch on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andymac
Tirones

Postby andymac » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:58 pm

hi jade ,
with running when someone is in pain the last thing you look at is their biomechanics . running at different speeds requires the foot to be loaded in different positions which affects postural balance , this increases the load on other muscles ,tendons ,ligaments and bone . with coaching athletes to high standards i was able to access biomechanical support at loughboro and spent time with the team analysing running style to limit injury .( part of that team was the lead person looking after mo farah during olympics and world champs ) the conclusion was always to balance muscles through weight training never to change running style . as the athlete gets fitter and power to weight ratio for running increases the style of running changes naturally . as a coach it is my responsibility to the athlete to not only limit injury but access as much help from experts for them to achieve their goals and work together with that team . it is from this experience that i give advice at the odd seminar, for no charge, about training and staying injury free.
kind regards,
Andy

HarrisChick
Optio

Postby HarrisChick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi guys,

I have to say something here with regards to barefoot running. I know many top athletes, and none of them are barefoot runners. Look at all the top athletes of all the disciplines and do they run barefoot, no. When I achieved my best times I was running in excess of 100miles per week and wearing normal neutral trainers. I managed to stay injury free because, thanks to Andy, my training was planned out thoroughly. I listened to my body, looked at my nutrition, recovered properly. As a sports massage therapist I have seen many barefoot runners come through my door with injuries. These particular runners didn't have injuries before they started wearing them.

Sarah H

Return to “Injuries”