Hip Pain

Overdoing it? Not doing enough? Injury advice, Gels, hydration etc. All topics to do with training
Little Tyke
Cornicen

Hip Pain

Postby Little Tyke » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I have developed a nasty pain in my left hip in the last couple of weeks while I have been pushing it a bit to get better times. To do so i have started running a shorter step but faster. I rested it for five days and it went away but as soon as i ran again it came back. Gets worse sitting down. Can this be a shoe thing? Mine are old.
I really need to get this sorted as i am in the Sheffield 1/2 marathon in a month.

Any advice appreciated
Bringing up the rear since 1969

stella
Primus Pilus

Postby stella » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Little Tyke, I posted your problem on another forum where you get more feedback, this response came back from a physio;

Sorry ~I need more info - a p;ic of a finger pointing to the pain is helpful.

I suspect the clue is "while I have been pushing it a bit " This will be a rotational thing going on in the hip joint creating leveraage and eccentric stretch of soft tissue or stressing a bone

Hope this helps.
my name is clive allison, i am not a girl......well only at weekends :-)

Little Tyke
Cornicen

Postby Little Tyke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:59 am

the pain is above my hip joint and up to the point of my pelvis. If that makes any sense.

ShinSplints
Cornicen

Re: Hip Pain

Postby ShinSplints » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:53 pm

Little Tyke wrote:I have developed a nasty pain in my left hip in the last couple of weeks while I have been pushing it a bit to get better times. To do so i have started running a shorter step but faster. I rested it for five days and it went away but as soon as i ran again it came back. Gets worse sitting down. Can this be a shoe thing? Mine are old.
I really need to get this sorted as i am in the Sheffield 1/2 marathon in a month.

Any advice appreciated

might it not have something to do with that, I dont know how long you have been running but you have suddenly changed your natural running stride and not only changed it but also are running faster and harder,

therefore the full range of movement that you legs would have gone though at the hip joint area during your old running stride has been shortened and has not been given time to adjust before stressing the area even further by adding more speed

change your shoes aswell if they are old, I suffered from endless leg problems when I ran and in the end I would go through 4 pairs a year to try and keep the problems at bay
Please no more geeky garmin software posts!!!

stella
Primus Pilus

Postby stella » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 pm

yes agree with the shoes. Even if it isn't the cause of the injury, you can guarantee you "will" get injured running in old shoes?
Have you ever had your gait analysed? Do you know they are correct shoes for you? How old is old?

ShinSplints
Cornicen

Postby ShinSplints » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 pm

off topic and I do apoligise for hijacking thread but Stella I just got a pair of 1223s delivered this morning and they are a far better fit than the 1222s I must say. Will be trying them out tomorrow unless I can think of an excuse.

stella
Primus Pilus

Postby stella » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:10 pm

nice one ss, we'll be seeing you down the club soon then ;-)
I like the 1223's, just about ready for a new pair, with all the london training, done 620 miles since the beginning of Jan, where did you get them from ss? Sweatshop did have them for £40 a while back.

Little Tyke
Cornicen

Postby Little Tyke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:37 pm

I bet i've got 600 miles in my shoes. They are GT 2120s. I have never had my stride analysed but i saw some video of me running and i run with my feet at 10 to 2. Most ungainly. I now know what a sack of potatos running looks like.

ShinSplints
Cornicen

Postby ShinSplints » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 pm

stella wrote:nice one ss, we'll be seeing you down the club soon then ;-)
I like the 1223's, just about ready for a new pair, with all the london training, done 620 miles since the beginning of Jan, where did you get them from ss? Sweatshop did have them for £40 a while back.

got them off Ebay, paid £45 including delivery, if you are looking for new ones the New Balance factory shop are selling everything at half price at present got an email from them today, not sure about running at the club as 2 1/2 stone heavier than I was when I last ran properly, see how I go, I've got too used to being a gym queen

Little Tyke, pop to Derby Runner at Spondon they'll sort you out with regards checking your running gait and the correct shoes, and they offer discount to running club members

Little Tyke
Cornicen

Postby Little Tyke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:25 pm

many thanks!

Return to “Injuries”