heel pain - plantar fasciitis, any ideas?

Overdoing it? Not doing enough? Injury advice, Gels, hydration etc. All topics to do with training
stella
Primus Pilus

heel pain - plantar fasciitis, any ideas?

Postby stella » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 am

Since I did the Notts 10, (in race shoes) I have been suffering with a pain on the heel, it feels almost like it is bruised and is extremely painful especially when running / walking and also for the first few steps in the morning.

Any ideas of what this is, anyone suffered from it and what is the likely recovery time?
A quick search on the net seemed to indicate plantar fasciitis, but I’m not convinced this is the problem.

pabc
Admin

Postby pabc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:53 am

I had PF and 2 trips to physio for massage and changing shoes meant I was back up and 'running' in 2 weeks.

However my pain wasnt in the heel, it was along the bottom of my foot.

P
Finally got time to return to the club, both virtually and physically, and I'm on the injured step.................

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:47 am

sounds like internal bruising, which will heal with time. i have done something similar to pabc with the centre of my foot and it is taking a while to heal. hard to do much about it, my physio said time, rest and keep it flexible.
wise words are not always easy to find

stella
Primus Pilus

Postby stella » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks guys, i went and did a steady 40 mins tonight and the pain has now subsided a little but moved to the inside edge and side of my foot and moving up the side of the ankle (left one) .........strange :-?

rollerman
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby rollerman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:38 am

Not an expert on any of this....but could be that the pain is still there just that you are compesating for it by running differently.

rookirunna
Optio

Postby rookirunna » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:10 pm

Stella, sorry to hear of your injury.

I think Rollerman is right tho. Sometimes your body compensates unconsciously causing more damage as it is using an un natural motion.

I found this out the hard way last year by not resting enough. A fairly straight forward hip flexor injury became a major joint issue costing a fortune in physio and 6 weeks off.

Not wanting to teach granny 'n' all that, but be careful.

RR

stella
Primus Pilus

Postby stella » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:15 pm

thanks rooki, nope no egg sucking grannys here....

it's always good to hear other people's thoughts,

had a very steady week and touch wood it feels alot easier, will take it easy this weekend and see how it goes next week, i heard you were injured nothing too serious i hope??
Last edited by stella on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rookirunna
Optio

Postby rookirunna » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Stella

I've managed to get another hip injury similar to the one I mentioned previously, tho on the other side. Hence my caution to run at the minute.

There are a few advantages to having an inner and outer thigh injury tho...but won't go into it for fear of being labelled a perv! Butterfly knows all!!!

I'm going to try a slow amble this afternoon to test the water. If all is well I shall be returning to the Striders next Saturday.

RR

stella
Primus Pilus

Postby stella » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:34 pm

please pm me with all the details!!

rookirunna
Optio

Postby rookirunna » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:04 pm

Toooo rude! :wink:

Whitty
Discens

Postby Whitty » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:46 pm

No pun intended but this injury is or was common with Bobby's and is often known as Policemans Heel, which was caused by pounding the beat!

If its PF thats causing the pain, I found that I had been stretching my calsves in an incorrect manner which I subsequently found out from a Sports scientist friend often causes problems for the PF area.

RICE generally works for most things I've found. Not that I can talk as I think I've got compartmental trouble in the shin, but the Ice does wonders for that, although I aint gonna be running too much at the mo!
Don't drink Redbull in the morning! From now on, call me Sick Boy!!

rookirunna
Optio

Postby rookirunna » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:34 am

So many people seem to be injured at the minute...wot's goin on? :cry:
RR

Bex
Imaginifer

Postby Bex » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I'm not! Ha ha!!!!!!

Maybe it's in the LE water??

Clive, it doesn't sound like PF to me- when I had it, the pain would worsen at the beginning of a run, then stay about the same throughout the run. When I finished, it bloody killed!

I've also had a bruised heel before. Running didn't seem to make it any worse, as long as I stayed on reasonably even ground, but I reduced my mileage to about 60-70% of what I was normally doing.
It got better within about 10 days.

I hope that all helps you (besides the gloating on the top, I bet I'll get injured now!)
Andrei made me do it.

stella
Primus Pilus

Postby stella » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:35 pm

bex, welcome back!!
thanks i havent run for about 5 days now and getting frustrated!

worrying thing is i seem to be commenting more on injuries thread than any other threads!
good to hear you are running.............and not injured!

butterfly
Aquilifer

Postby butterfly » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:58 am

stella wrote:thanks i havent run for about 5 days now and getting frustrated!

What's that got to do with running Stella? :lol: :shock: :lol:
Butterfly

Life is for living

Return to “Injuries”