Summer league 2015

All about the summer league
boyband6666
Signifer

Re: Summer league 2015

Postby boyband6666 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:35 pm

I did one (in the summer league) last year that could have counted as a fell one I'm sure. Somewhere in Derbyshire called Crich or Critch? It was 7 miles basically up and down big hills.

So long as it doesn't involve navigation or super fell stuff (i.e. it is trails and canals), then I don't think anyone would mind as you just need to show up and put one foot in front of the other. Having to buy bum bags, maps, and other assorted one use stuff however... no thanks.

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

Postby foxontherun » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Nice try Mario! However, as I'm picking the SL list this time - not a chance.

Your suggestion might work the other way around, ie, attract newcomers to the fells, and Anthony's suggestion about Crich Monument was a decent one. It was given a try last year and 10 turned out. Not decided yet.

The Tara Kinder had a good turnout as well. Any views on that anyone? Also, Derby 10k & Notts 5 mile.

Regarding the points, I'm miles away from thinking that the 150/149/148..... system needs to be tinkered with. It's meritocratic and it works. The system of dropping the lowest scores and just counting the top 10 or 8 evens things out towards the end of the season, and encourages members to run in more than the minimum number. In my opinion, it falls down when there are too many of us in one race, ie, any of the GP series races. That's why they won't be included.

My wish to restrict the list to 19 races is proving difficult as there are so many excellent, popular local races. Simply leaving them off the list for our own strategic purposes does not support them as well as we could.
Closet Trackster!

mazmaffin
Aquilifer

Postby mazmaffin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Yes to Tara Kinder. I don't think Marathons should be included...just my opinion! And if they are, only local ones.....
Maria White

charli
Imaginifer

Postby charli » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:22 pm

I agree don't think summer league is a place for a marathon (150 points is not enough for a marathon!) and also it's people's main year goal often that I think I prefer the previous suggestion that there could be cause for a fastest marathon award (with ballots and limitted place available in others this may even out the playing field.

Anyway what do I know I've never run one!

I really enjoyed Tara kinder though a lot of race were at elvaston castle - maybe a mix of locations will allow greater coverage of lercers.

pabc
Admin

Postby pabc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:29 am

foxontherun wrote:It's meritocratic and it works.

WTF does that mean?
Finally got time to return to the club, both virtually and physically, and I'm on the injured step.................

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

Postby foxontherun » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:36 pm

pabc wrote:
foxontherun wrote:It's meritocratic and it works.

Social system where there is rule by the talented (and intelligent). Ok a bit pompous, but you get the drift.

I'm happy to omit full marathons, well the RHM as that was the only one on the draft list. What about halfs? Seem to remember that the RHM half is very expensive, and possibly the Ramathon. Does the cost of some races put people off, and therefore unfair to include? The Belvoir Half will be on so maybe that's enough?

My aim is for a general spread of distances, evenly spread over Apr - Sept, varied courses/terrain, ie trail & road..

Mario2710
Aquilifer

Postby Mario2710 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:10 pm

The system does not work for me. Sorry Rob.

150 points to turn up for a race that nobody else choose, does not reflect your real form!

If you go with the % system is no way to cheat the system!!!!

Just have a look at the rest of the Local clubs system....

Wilko can explain you the % system used in the Dark Peak club.

Shaun was also happy to go for that system whats change?

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

Postby foxontherun » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:00 pm

The plan was/is to run a shadow set of results to compare at the end of the summer season. I've had no dealings with Pabc about this so not sure if it's going to happen.

Wilko has explained the "Dark Peak" way to me several times, and I'm far from convinced. Each set of race results clearly show how well any of us have fared when compared to the winner, we are concerned with how well we fare against each other.

Regarding the "cheating" of the current system, it's all down to race selection. Hopefully, all of the races on my list will attract several club members each.
Closet Trackster!

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

Postby foxontherun » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:08 pm

List out soon, but the Easter 10k (Mon 6/4) will be the first, followed by the Belvoir Half (Sunn 12/4), with Booth's League 1 at Teversal Grange (Tue 14/4) and NottsAAA RRL1 at Hexgreave Park (Wed 22/4) being the other races in April.

I had considered the Derby 10k, but entries have closed so left it out.
Closet Trackster!

pabc
Admin

Postby pabc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Any system can be 'cheated' - for example the precentage system is also open to 'gaming' - if people only run the shorter races they will get higher percentages than those that run loner ones.

If people really want a trophy they could travel to far a field places to maximise points, or they could run the 9 shortest races in the league to maximise points.
Finally got time to return to the club, both virtually and physically, and I'm on the injured step.................

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

Postby foxontherun » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:45 pm

Summer League Race List (Provisional)
April
Mon 6 Easter 10k (Wollaton Park)
Sun 12 Belvoir Half Marathon
Tue 14 Booth’s Dec league 1 - Teversal Grange
Wed 22 Notts AAA RRL1 - Hexgreave Park
May
Wed 6 Notts AAA RR2 - Holme Pierrepont WSC (5 mile road race)
Tue 12 Booth’s Dec league 2 - Ilkeston Rugby Club
Wed 20 Trent 5 mile (Beeston Marina)
Sun 31 Sinfin 10k (Elvaston Castle grounds)
June
Sun 7 Ramathon*
Tue 9 Booth’s Dec league 3 - Denby Pottery Centre (venue may change)
Fri 12 Notts 10 mile (Notts County Champs)
Wed 17 Notts AAA RRL3 - Redhill ( exact venue tbc)
July
Sat 11 Crich Monument*
Tue 14 Booth’s Dec league 4 - Carsington Water
Wed 15 Notts AAA RRL4 - Worksop College
Fri 17 Tara Kinder 10k (Elvaston Castle grounds)
Wed 22 Notts 5 mile* - Victoria Embankment
Fri 24 Newstead Abbey Dash 5k (Notts County Champs)

August
Tue 4 Booth’s Dec league 5 - Shipley Park
Fri 7 Castle Rock 10k (formerly Jagermeister 10k)
Wed 12 Notts AAA RRL5 - Teversal Grange
Sun 23 Mansfield 10k (Notts County Champs)
September
Sun 6 Wilne 10k (DCAA champs/MCAA champs/MMAC champs)
Sun 27 Robin Hood Marathon (Notts County Champs)*
Sun 27 Robin Hood Half Marathon*

Notes:
1. Distance 4.5 - 5.5 miles approx. where not shown.
2. Races listed as * may not be included dependant upon feedback.
3. All races road or trail (or mix of both).
Closet Trackster!

David Riley
Imaginifer

Postby David Riley » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:24 pm

Late as usual.
I am in favour of changing the system that gives you less points when more members are running. That's no way to encourage a club.
The Heritage series (it was called that last year Rob) has been the best attended of any non free races for 20 years ? In my view it should be the very last thing to take out.
How many disagree ?
Tour of the Derwent Valley is unique and needs the encouragement to get people to travel. I'm sorry to see that go.
Leave out marathons and fell. One half, just Belvoir, or pick & mix any (with suitable system).
The RHM, Ramathon, and Wilne 10K are too expensive.
Does anyone really like the Notts. 10 ?

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

Postby foxontherun » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks for your comments Dave. I always look forward to reading them. I'm sorry but we won't change the points system. Mainly because there is no obvious alternative to the current one, that a large majority agree on, just many well-intentioned suggestions, but no comprehensive club-wide discussion/debate.

I agree with one of your points Dave, with so many of us entering the GP/Heritage series, some poor soul ends up with 120 points or less, almost worthless in terms of the Summer League. But competing is valuable to the individual especially if they intend to complete the series. A hard decision, but as I want to keep the number of races down towards 20, I decided to leave the series out. Like-wise the TODV, a great series I'm sure. Which popular local races do I leave out if we include them? They will still take place, just won't be counters towards our league.

The Crich Monument and Notts 5 mile races are in, and still deliberating about the others.
Closet Trackster!

charli
Imaginifer

Postby charli » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:57 pm

How about a small award for first lerc lady/man home for both heritage and todv. That way you still have a lerc competition in these events without making the summer league too heavy in events

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:12 pm

The Notts 10 and all the other county champ races should be in, same for any local Derby champs. Those are the events to encourage people to enter.
wise words are not always easy to find

Return to “Summer League”