LERC 5 - add your comments about today

A place for LERCers to discuss the 5 mile race. Organisation and such stuff
chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

LERC 5 - add your comments about today

Postby chrisity » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:51 pm

please add any positive or negative comments you have heard about the race today.

i received this e-mail

Hi Chris, just wanted to say that the new 5 mile course was very pleasant and engageing. Much better keeping it away from most of the main roads, and the loops in the West Park gave you a better view of the race in progress. The marshalls were a very encouraging lot...the girls ringing the cowbells were great!

As is always the case here, a very well organised event, which deserves the top runners it gets....and even better at the finish with the goody bag celebrating the 25th anniversary of the club!

It’s nice to be able to peruse the old results...especially for those of us who have been around for a while, so this little feature is a bonus.

Just a shame about the rain for the marshalls, but probably ok for us runners. I’ve always known it to be sunny & sometimes a bit too warm. Fickle British weather!

A big THANKYOU to everyone who made the day a great success.

See you all again next year.

Regards,

Heather
wise words are not always easy to find

Harry Hornet
Cornicen

Re: LERC 5 - add your comments about today

Postby Harry Hornet » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:50 pm

I thought that there was a good atmosphere today at the race, however the main purpose for the forum message is that I wanted to highlight Chris Robsons contribution to the LERC events this weekend. I know Chris wont like it but he put in huge amounts of effort in sorting the 50m ultra and then the entries for the 5m. I was briefly up at the Navigation yesterday, where Chris was situated all day and at the end the runners were very positive about the event. Whilst I appreciate many others are invovled, I just wanted it to be recognised the effort that Chris has put in.
LERC 2007/2008/2009 second place award winner!

beebee
Immunes

Postby beebee » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:00 pm

I thought the route was lovely (although I didnt know it and went on a little detour with the rear runner) Much less roads and more park. Shame about the weather it was so cold...

pabc
Admin

Postby pabc » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:14 pm

A few little things.

We really need a funnel team - 2 number recorders, 2 time recorders and a funnel marshal that do the job year in and out so get practised at it. yet again we had issues with the fun run and main race results. It's such a vital area that we should have the most suitable people for it on the job rather than an ad-hoc 'you're free right now - please go on the timekeepers position'

And we need to avoid putting maps/instructions on the main hall doors as people naturally stand there to read them thus causing a blockage

Also a 'do not disturb' the timekeepers' placard so people dont bother them mid-recording asking for their specific time.
Finally got time to return to the club, both virtually and physically, and I'm on the injured step.................

Rover
Signifer

Postby Rover » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Glad it went well. As the lead marshal for the very first field, I think we need
- more cones and markers to add a little bit more definition over the first 400 metres from the start; there's too much open space left to wander about in and it looks a little amateur; let's buy another 2 dozen small cones and flag type markers so we are never found wanting again
- we need to do what Pabc does for fun run and use a degradable spray paint to mark the line of the course with arrows and also mark those essential points where we need marshals; plus we need precise markers for the finishing straight, as we were moving that about today with only 5 minutes to go to the start.
- maybe an idea to appoint lead marshals again who look after one section each and are taken through the course on the week prior to ensure it's all crystal clear.

Another great job by messrs Bostock, Fox, Abbot and many more.
Agree with Hornet's words above ref Chris - a weekend performance above and beyond the call.
Rover
Oh Birkenhead is wonderful!

creakinees
Admin

Postby creakinees » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:38 am

I'm pleased everything went well yesterday - I felt quite awkward yesterday morning having to say sorry I couldn't stay but the forecast wasn't saying heavy rain til later so I made the decision to go elsewhere to help out. As it happened our childrens party was pretty much a wash out so no real consolation there.

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi Chris
Just a short message to say thanks to you and the LERC for a great race yesterday.It was the most well organised race i've entered.....marshalls,goody bags,beer!!!! etc were all top notch......looking forwrd to the next one...thanks again
All the best
Damon

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:24 pm

On uk net runners forum....

Well I learnt something today, Long Eaton is in Derbyshire not Nottinghamshire, and that's from someone who originally hails from Notts! Oops

Long Eaton is in spitting distance of J25 on the M1 and the event was highly accessible due to this, and it's location at the sports centre on the edge of town made parking a breeze with it's large car park and the adjacent field.

Today was the first time I'd run in a real race outside of the North East, and it kind of felt continental due to this, fancy club names and different accents (Derbyshire ones obviously!) certainly confirmed we arent in Kansas anymore! The race, a nice 5 miler reccomended by this very club, was set to commence at 10am, I arrived in plenty of time and simply used the facilities multiple times, just because I could! The sports hall hosted a mini exhibition and had stalls for other clubs/events, sale of running kit and a great big cake stall in case anyone needed to load up with calorific goodness. Very well run and very friendly.

I wandered around to get my bearings, and came across lots of netrunners with the same idea of taking part in this event. I counted Tristan, two Dave's (S & G), Rich and saw a couple of other tops sporting the UKnetrunner logo, we were out in force! Friendly, but brief chats broke up the wait for the off, and then we wandered across to the start on the other side of the playing field, a good hike to warm the blood before the games began.

A friendly bunch of runners chatted as we waited for the dance troupe to do their bit, and then we cantered off across the sports field, turning every so often until being deposited onto the tarmac path of the adjacent park. Route was obvious, but just felt like a big park run (ie running in a park!!). I honestly dont remember much about the course for the first couple of miles, as we simply looped and randomly altered our course, seemingly to make up the distance. Dont get me wrong, it was enjoyable, the surfaces and markings were great, but it was muddled and felt a bit like blind mans buff. If they had stopped the race, and said 'get back to your car', I could have headed off in any direction!!! The race continued, mile 1 in 9.10, mile 2 in 9.13, and as we entered the third mile, we cut through a bush and escaped the park loop phase, hurray! Up a random suburban street, where I briefly had a chat with Tristan who seemed to be having calf challenges, and upto the water station at exactly 2.5 miles, hows that for military planning!

Once watered, we turned left to follow the Erewash canal into somewhere Long Eaton-ish, where people lived and worked and everything, like a real place... After skipping past quite a nice boat on the canal which helped lift the spirts, the scenery was more 'industrial', and then to add authenticity it started to rain to complete the temporary but grim scene. Mile three had passed in 9.31 due to still not mastering the art of drinking whilst running.

I hung onto the back of a green and yellow lady (garment wise), we turned left, then right ,then left, then right etc etc etc and et voila my favourite park, with a whole new twist and thru route. Early into the park mile 4 loomed and I closed that in 9.20, encouraged that this would soon be over! We looped, turned, trimmed, edged, accented, adjusted.....and pressed on for the final mile. Green and Yellow lady got a spurt on, and I struggled to keep up, but a 4.5 miles I was still hanging on ; eventually we reached the open playing fields and saw journey's end, I obviously looked tired as the marshal said sarcastically 'I see you are enjoying this sir', in good humour I add! I pressed on turned right for the final few hundred yards, started to gain on Mrs green/yellow, and passed her with seconds to spare, as the announcer said - 'well done number 11, Lee Simpson from UKnetrunner', that felt great and I saw a few of the netrunner crowd at the end when I picked up my free mug and tech-t. That last mile was covered in 9.03, giving me a finish 46.02(their time) ; a new PB

Course wise there is absolutely nothing special about Long Eaton whatsoever, but I heartily reccomend this event due to the fantastic organisation, and probably the most enthusiastic marshal's I have ever met. Great job, next year please do not order the rain though, it made me wet for the 3 hour journey home

AshokKumarPatel
Princeps Posterior

THANK YOU

Postby AshokKumarPatel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks to everybody who volunteered. =D> =D> =D> =D>
A super job done colin, Rob and friends =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

Postby foxontherun » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:45 am

A huge thanks to all who helped out on the course, and in the park. Every runner got back. Some even said that they liked the new route!

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:34 am

From the guy who finished last on Sunday

Hi Chris,

I thoroughly enjoyed the 5 mile race on Sunday.

I am new to running at 52 years of age having started this year – this was my fourth race having previously run in a 2 mile fun run, 4.5 mile fun run (at Belvoir) and 5 mile Wymeswold Waddle.

Rachel – the tale biker kept me company the whole way round and was superb in her encouragement and not letting me reduce to a walk, and even encouraging me to sprint to the finish line – please pass on my thanks.

Having had a bad cold all week and thus done no training I was pleased to get round in one piece and even more pleased to run virtually all the five miles.

Pity about your New Zealand bound marshal who did not see me coming and thus allowed me a longer run – but it makes for a great story in the pub and my fellow runners at Wymeswold love my stories.
It made a good day for Wymeswold as one of the other runners in the club Steve Owen finished first in the “Alexander the Great – Half Marathon” at Wellingborough.
First and last on the same day - not many running clubs can boast that I’ll bet
Keep up the good work the mug and t shirt are brilliant and the beer was probably what drew me in.

Look forward to next year.

Richard

foxontherun
Pilus Posterior

LERC 5 - Comments so far

Postby foxontherun » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 pm

"Course wise there is absolutely nothing special about Long Eaton whatsoever" & "I heartily recommend this event due to the fantastic organisation, and probably the most enthusiastic marshal's I have ever met". Not quite sure how to take the first quote, but the second will do for me (c/w spelling correction).

The long post from which these quotes were taken, plus the previous post shows that we did something right.

Keep the feedback coming please guys, including the 50 miler, we will be having a post-race wash-up in a couple of weeks, all welcome.

chrisity
Tribunus Laticlavius

Postby chrisity » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:06 pm

there are 8 incredibly positive reviews on Runners World - Jane's cowbell gets lots of praise.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ra ... 25&sp=&v=1 should be the link for this year's reviews.

Return to “LERC 5”