Committee response to Rob Fox resignation of duties

Items for sale, spare numbers up for grabs - put your notice in here
wilko
Princeps Posterior

Committee response to Rob Fox resignation of duties

Postby wilko » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:37 am

A request please. Could someone on the committee please post the minutes from the committee meeting held on Tuesday 17th July ASAP ie within a few days. With the minutes, can Rob Fox's resignation letter detailing all the positions and jobs that he has undertook on behalf of LERC be included - Rob is happy that this should be in the public record - and please could the supplementary comment made by me and submitted by Rob alongside his letter of resignation be included.

In addition, please could the question I submitted to the committee meeting on Tuesday and delivered by Colin Bostock on my behalf regarding Rob's resignation letter, also be included in the minutes and verbatim as I had sent it to Colin.

Also, the minutes from the committee meeting earlier in 2018 don't appear on the website, please could they be posted ASAP too.

Thanks, Rich Wilkinson

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Re: Committee response to Rob Fox resignation of duties

Postby wilko » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Following my first post in this thread and, as it’s difficult to predict when the minutes will be posted on the LERC website, below are the supplementary comment that went alongside Rob’s letter of resignation and then the question I submitted to the committee in light of Rob’s letter. In due course, when Rob’s letter is available with the minutes you will see the context in which I was prompted to respond.

Rob’s commitment to LERC has been immense. The club would not be where it is today without the lion’s share of its work – conducted mostly in the background - having been done by him. The scale of future commitment and hard work required to fill the considerable ‘shoes’ that Rob is vacating should not be underestimated. Rob has given plenty of notice of his departure in order for the legacy of his tenure at the club to be continued seamlessly by others. Rob’s vision in transforming the club into the success it has become today in championing access to running for all abilities, making LERC a major player in the organisation of events in the region and making it a force to be reckoned with locally and nationally should not be lost.

The committee has been given clear guidance by Rob on the way forward regarding the duties he is stepping down from. It may be that the committee has resolved them all in one go at the committee meeting on Tuesday 17th – in which case, my fears are allayed and hats off to the committee for acting with good haste. However, I cannot be sure of that. Many of Rob’s duties are ongoing requiring attendance at meetings and organisation of events or programmes and so must have personnel in place quickly – ie now. If the committee did not reconcile Rob’s duties with a new ‘manager’ / post-holder at the meeting, then problems, some serious could lie ahead – the clock is ticking. If, as in previous years, the next committee meeting is not held until November, then there is only the AGM in October to sort issues out – but by then it’s too late – unless the committee have already agreed to another meeting before then to address anything left unresolved.

Rob’s duties each need a permanent representative to cover them and not by some ad hoc rotation of individuals – many of the organisations Rob met with have relationships forged out of long-term mutual recognition of trust, shared values and direction of travel and it would be a travesty if that was lost by not having stability in these positions. Equally, as Rob intimates in his letter, if the committee looks for change or cannot manage Rob’s former duties and decides to discontinue some of them, then it could alter substantially the nature of LERC for some time. If change is thought to be necessary then the members of LERC need to decide if that is what they collectively want. The committee are not mandated to change the nature of the club without informing LERC members and that must be by the best method, most likely a Special General Meeting – and neither should the club sleep-walk into change because provision hasn’t been made to cover Rob’s duties and so they’re all shelved as the ‘easy option’.

If the committee has all of Rob’s duties covered then I’ll be relieved and happy to hear ‘we told you so’. But, I’m not so sure. If the sceptics amongst you believe I have an ulterior motive, then you would be right; I am a custodian of the club, as we all should be. It is that I have great attachment to this club and the runners in it and I want to see it continue to thrive and not see Rob’s labours having got us this far being lost - I’m as proud as I ever was to wear a LERC vest as I was racing in it last night. If it’s thought I’m taking a ‘sledge-hammer to a nut’ with this issue, then that might be right and very happy to be proved wrong, but if it turns out I am right, I don’t want to be the one saying 'I told you so'.

Committee, please act promptly, do the right thing(s), keep this great club on track and aim to reassure - and even if that is only me.

Thanks, Rob for everything you’ve done for the club, smoke me a kipper and home for tea and medals!

Supplement to Rob’s letter of resignation:

"I will make my decision on whether to continue as team manager for the LERC Nottinghamshire XC team on the outcome of how the committee intend to fulfil and continue the obligations that Rob has maintained on behalf of the club. Secondly, my decision will also be dependent upon the response of the committee to Rob stepping down from his numerous positions, I - and I'm sure many at the club - would like to know and be reassured about the club's future direction especially one that will require strong, active and decisive leadership involving high levels of hard work and accountability. I will continue to support Rob and LERC in the BMAF XC relays in October."

Question submitted to LERC committee meeting 17th July 2018:

“In response to Rob Fox resigning his club duties the committee must act swiftly. It may be that you have it all covered without issue but if not, then there is need to move quickly. The obvious interim solution would be that the current secretary or chairman takes over all Rob's responsibilities or they share them. Failing that, duties are shared amongst all the committee. These duties cannot wait until an AGM appoints in October as meetings and events Rob attended or organised are ongoing. Rob has intimated that change may be needed and so if that is decided, that too needs doing urgently. However, before that, the potential long-term implications for the nature and future of the club needs to be conveyed to club members - things cannot be left to drift. If the committee cannot respond within a suitable timeframe then it should consider convening a Special General Meeting of club members to resolve the situation - and this also as a matter of urgency. After the embarrassment of the London Marathon ballot fiasco and in-fighting within the Nomad event there has to be a unified, strong and clear plan by the committee to move forward. Whatever the committee decides, there are likely questions to be asked of it at the AGM.

Rich Wilkinson

ksarb
Princepales

Postby ksarb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Hey Rich

I have to agree with your concerns about how the club goes forward, Robs amazing and unknown whole input into to the club is truly underestimated.he has heartedly push LERC in a status of trust and honour and LERC are known as a support and leader in all club athletic races.

My own experience this year on the management committee has been left in shreds of doubt and disgust to the ability of looking after the members, myself trying to move the club forward and contributing time this year I have seen a bullying none responsive result even though I myself I made a complaint after 6 months of trying to resolve a situation I even now still await a decision

Rob will be truly missed a piece of LERC’s heart will be missed and I know won’t be replaced
Pushing from the back but you'll hear me at the front.......

Mario2710
Aquilifer

Postby Mario2710 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Same for me. We really need to call an emergency meeting (meetings) sooner the better. In order to assign any of rob responsibilities and to understand the direction of the club! If instead of criticise we can come up with suggestion an ideas.....
The our club is achieved so much over the last 2-3 years!!!

Cathy
Immunes

Postby Cathy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Just a note to confirm...
Rob's resignation and his roles were discussed in detail at the committee meeting last week. We don't need an 'emergency meeting'.
The committee has assigned his roles to the relevant committee members, a couple of roles we will require help from members with. The club secretary will be sending an out an email in due course to inform members of Robs retirement and how we have reassigned his roles and where we need some help.

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 am

Cathy, I respectfully disagree with your statement "we don't need an 'emergency meeting'". Firstly, I'm sure you're commenting in good faith (either on behalf of the committee or as a committee member) but without published minutes your assertion - which may be correct - can't be confirmed and so it's only your opinion or that of the committee at the moment - and one which you and the committee are entitled to; and secondly, the club rules allow for the membership to decide whether to convene an sgm at any time (irrespective of whatever the committee states or what is eventually shown in the minutes), thus it is quite possible that when minutes are available that is what might happen if someone decides a sgm is needed and if all conditions are met.

Polite request: please can the minutes of the last two committee meetings (17th July and March?) be posted on the LERC website.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Wilkinson

Woolly
Praefectus Castrorum

Postby Woolly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:12 am

Hi Richard
The March minutes are on the website and July’s committee meeting will be finalised early this week.
Including both your statements as requested above.
Rachel Argent, Club Secretary

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks for that Rachel. There's also the missing minutes from the special commitee meeting from before early December 2017 to reconcile the London Marathon ballot numbers issue. Now that has been resolved (and notified via a club email in December 2017) those minutes should be published particularly as it was a majority not unanimous decision by the committee - the discussion and process that led to the decision being made should be made available.

Thanks again, Rich Wilkinson

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks (Rachel?) for posting the July committee meeting minutes.
It shows how much Rob did as one person and the gaps still needing to be filled and the careful need to organise, manage, review and have oversight of the various assigned roles.

A correction to an error on the minutes please. Rob has only only resigned from organising the Derbyshire county XC entries. I have organised the Nottinghamshire county XC entries for the last 13 years and have not resigned. Rob's resignation mentioned 'potentially' a Nottinghamshire organiser and my letter to the committee stated that I would make a decision dependent on certain conditions.

Rob intimated in his resignation letter about the future direction of the club and I referred to this twice in my letters appended to the minutes - is there a reason why the legitimately posed queries to the committee meeting were not discussed? - if it was due to lack of time then please make this the first item on the agenda at the next committee meeting.

Agenda item 6. League races - and setting up Facebook groups. We already have a website and forum for league races and club information. If people want to use Facebook to share information that's fine but please can all club related news and information be posted on the LERC website at the same time as on Facebook - and that the committee endorses this.

Thanks, Rich Wilkinson

Return to “Other notices, For Sales etc”